Click for Piaggio Click for Embraer Click for HondaJet Click for Boeing Click for Piper

2016 Airbus Military Family Day

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by HTM09, Jun 18, 2016.

1. HTM09

HTM09 Member

I was invited to the Airbus Military Family Day at the Ingostadt Airfield (Manching) Airbus Facility in Bavaria. As it was only a 40 min flight with the CJ from Hamburg to Ingolstadt , I took the chance to attend. Great Airshow with flying display of an A 400M, a Airbus A 350 Wide Body, Eurofighter and Pa 200 Tornado.
    But my main interest was headed towards the display of the aircrafts I flew during my own military time.

Here are some pictures from todays the event:

IMG_1517.JPG

The Panavia Tornado first Prototype. A variable wing sweep fighter bomber. The German Tornado production was located on this airfield and German military test flight center is still located here. At present, the production line of the Eurofighter is on this airfield.

IMG_1518.JPG

My all time favorite fighter aircraft, the Lockheed F-104 G Starfighter. My first assigment after UPT (T-37 and T-38). This top restored aircraft in a better than new state and ready to fly, almost watered my eyes. Ain't that a beauty ?

IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

And my mean machine, the McDonald Douglas F-4F Phantom II. This a testbed aircraft, still used as a chase aircraft for test flights.
  2. HTM09

HTM09 Member

But my absolute highlight of the day was the visit at the Messerschmidt Historical Flight on this airfield. They have a fleet of original WWII Messerschmitts which are flown during airshows like the ILA at Berlin or today on the family day. In their hangar a Messerschmitt Me-108 and a Me-109 were being restored (bad landings).

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

This Me-109 was in the flying display today. What a sound !!!

IMG_1548.JPG

A Messerschmitt Me-262 twin engine WWII jet fighter. All in original state, except the non afterburning engines were taken from a Northrop F-5. Her flying display is always impressive.

A great day with great memories. Not to mention the old friends from my military time, I was able to talk to. Plus 1.5 hours stick time on my CJ2. One of the best ways to spoil a Saturday.
  3. HTM09

HTM09 Member

Some more pictures from the airshow.

Me262.jpg

To bad this Messerschmitt 262 is only a replica. But exept for the engines, the aircraft is build 100 % according to the WWII standards. It even inherited the bad high speed flying characteristics, like mach critical drag rise and aileron reversal.

Me-109.jpg

I love that sound of the original Mercedes engine. The 109 is so difficult to taxi, taking off and landing on concrete runways (due to bad visibility, the small wheel base and the high engine torque), that even the test pilots keep chrashing them. One or two of them are always being rebuld :).

F-104G.jpg

My all time favorite, the F-104 G. Today I can't believe, I did ever fit in that cockpit :).

Tornado.jpg

The Panavia Pa-200 Tornado Fighter Bomber. The aircraft entered service, when I left the active duty in the Air Force and it is phasing out already. Most of them are already scrapped.

Beluga.jpg

The Airbus A 300 Beluga. A special version of the A300 for transporting Airbus aircraft parts from different factories in Europe to the final assembly lines in France, Germany and Spain. The cargo bay is unpressurized of course. A former Air Force colleague of mine flys one of those. He says, its flying characteristics are much better than one would believe from looking at it.
  4. HTM09

HTM09 Member

Some more:

Eurofighter1.jpg

A testbed Eurofighter and one of those ugly double seaters.

Eurofighter2.jpg

This canard wing fighters are pretty agile, I must say. But those display pilots always cheat with their power to weight ratio. 10 minutes flying display wit 20 minutes fuel on board (maximum :D).

A400M.jpg

The BUF (big ugly fellow) A400M. A test bed aircraft. Who knows, when this aircraft will ever be operational. The most "FU" aircraft program of the European aviation industry ever. The spec requirements had to lowered a few times. They have already fatigue problems on the main fuselage spar and the reduction gears on the engines have to be pulled, dismantled and checked for wear and tear every 20 hours. A nightmare fore the involved Air Forces. And naturally, the budget went through the roof.