Click for Bombardier Click for Embraer Click for Piper Click for Cessna Click for YachtForums

747 rotates for take-off at zero ground speed...

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by JetForums, Jun 15, 2012.

1. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

This 747 is sitting in a boneyard in Mojave, CA waiting to be dismantled and recycled at the end of its useful life. On May 23rd, 2012 the area experienced extreme winds of 70+ miles per hour and reports of gusts up to 100 near the pass due to a low pressure zone. Without the weight of its engines and with its landing flaps deployed, the slightly tail heavy 747 tries to take to the skies one last time. The next day the plane was found to have also rotated about 45 degrees from its original position. The same wind storm damaged many rooftops, cut power and sent huge clouds of sand and dust billowing into the sky. Mojave will occasionally experience this type of wind storm due to geography...

Amazing video of 747 lifting in place in extreme wind conditions - 1080P HD - YouTube!

***​

Attached Files:

2. hepotec

hepotec New Member

I saw this video before and I've got to say I would not have wanted to be standing around in those winds!! I'm sure I read somewhere as well that in the event of a wheels up landing the 747 has a tendency for the nose to lift then as well causing a problem originally with the escape slides at the front of the aircraft not being quite long enough.