Click for Cessna Click for Gulfstream Click for Boeing Click for Hawker Click for YachtForums

Call Signs

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by JWY, Oct 4, 2012.

1. JWY

JWY New Member

What's the story with call signs? Have been catching up on my JF reading and the tail # on a plane in the "Jets in Gibraltar" thread caught my attention: OY-CLN. I think I would request a change - who wants a plane with "OY" on its backside?
  2. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

3. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

Bill Cosby bought a Gulfstream about 20 years ago and brought it to FLE for a refit. Along with a new interior and freshened avionics, I was told he got a new set of N-numbers... "NIGR", which cleverly showed his darker side.

I cannot confirm this story.
  4. JWY

JWY New Member

Yacht names say something about the owner, or his wife, or bad habits, etc., but planes don't don't give a hint as to owner personality.
  5. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

Lots of planes have proper names... it's just that the tail number isn't the name, it's more like the license plate (in a state that doesn't let you pick your plate).

QANTAS names all their jets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_of_Qantas_aircraft

Not sure about other airlines, but I know the military also has loads of named aircraft.

Anyone know of private aircraft with names?
  6. travler

travler New Member

i remember seeing cosby's jet years ago in vegas but that was not his tail #, i have had several planes that end with my initials

travler
  7. travler

travler New Member

judy you are right i have named boats after all my kids and now my wife and even some of the grand kids

travler
  8. aviator4512

aviator4512 New Member

A lot of the charter companies, Fortune 500, and fractionals use call signs when communicating versus their tail number. The call signs are mainly used for security purposes although a lot of business jets simply go by their tail number. CitationAir (formerly Citationshares) goes by "Five Star" combined with the tail number. So for instance, N135CS: instead of reporting as "one three five Charlie Sierra", they would say "Five Star one three five" I've seen some creative tail numbers in my pursuits. Nike has their gulfstream tagged N1KE and Nissan has their gulfstream tagged N155AN. As Travler mentioned, most people use their initials for the last two letters or some sort of company abbreviation. There is no requirement to customize your tailnumbers as many people leave them as-is when they purchase an airplane given that the seller doesn't want to retain the tail number for a new aircraft. Hope this
  9. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

10. discokachina

discokachina New Member

11. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member