Click for Gulfstream Click for Dassault Click for Daher-Socata Click for Bombardier Click for Embraer

Photoshooting a Cessna from a Cirrus...

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by CaptTom, Nov 26, 2013.

1. CaptTom

CaptTom Member

As some may of you may know me from Yachtforums, I can be usually be found with a camera in hand, pretty much shooting anything that doesn't eat, sleep or breath (prefer not to photograph people since most don't like the way they look in photos).

Have a friend with a Cessna 340 twin engine and offered to shoot his plane for him. Also hooked up with Cessna magazine and I'm going to write a story with pics about him and his wife (both pilots) and their ride. So Sunday we went up and beat the bad weather to get some air images. That's shooting a plane that's moving, from another plane that's moving. I've shot aerials before but usually of yachts moving much slower or not at all, so this was a first for me. Learned a lot while up there, like window distortion is more severe through a telephoto lens, hitting air pockets makes for blurry photos, and go with experienced pilots, as these guys were great.

A briefing prior to takeoff gave the flyboys an idea of what I needed, and me an idea of what was realistic. And of course, safety first. But we were able to get close a few times, within a few plane lengths. Here are some images from the day. They are marked as I do not want them spread around yet. Need to get the magazine story done first.

My shooting platform for the day was a Cirrus SR22, with the parachute (not needed thankfully). Jerry the pilot was great in putting me in position. The Cessna was the stand-on plane and we mostly worked around him.

Attached Files:

2. CaptTom

CaptTom Member

After takeoff from Vero airport we headed southwest to join up with the Cessna. then a left turn took us towards the beach.

Attached Files:

3. CaptTom

CaptTom Member

Got this leaning over the shoulder and shooting through the back window. I was originally going to shoot from a Mudry CAP 10 but the owner couldn't get it out of his hangar due to a rain delay in pouring his new concrete apron.

Attached Files:

4. CaptTom

CaptTom Member

After an hour or so we landed. My plane put down first so I could get the Cessna doing a few touch-n-go maneuvers.
    The Vero tower was very accommodating, allowing us to stop on the taxi way to get a few shots.

These photos are actually very sharp but look a bit fuzzy when loaded to the site. I'll check with the head flyboy here. I'll let you know when the article comes out.

Stay safe.

Attached Files: