Click for Cessna Click for Hawker Click for Bombardier Click for Gulfstream Click for Westport

Chocks!

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by Jet News, May 27, 2017.

1. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

Let's talk chocks...yes those heavy rubber stops for the aircraft's wheels. A new set of chocks has come to the market and are made of forged aluminium. They are called Alpha Chocks and are the brain child of Daniel Stieger. The Series 1 chock will be standard equipment for the Pilatus PC-24 business jet but will be able to handle anything from light pistons to ultra long range business jets. What are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

Good to see innovation in aviation, especially when it reduces weight, but it looks like your wallet will be a bit lighter too. $300 for a single chock and $2000 for a 6-pack? Hope they have a built-in theft prevention system! ;)
  3. Jet News

Innovation doesn't come cheap!
  4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Far to expensive for one of the most abused aircraft accessories. They get taxied over, blown away, get forgotten all the time and even stolen.

I am using a pair of those for many years. Made of rubber, indestructible and cheap (80,- $ a pair, including bag). They work for the CJ in my Avatar, for the King Air and all SEP.

chocks-rubber-big.jpg

And big planes do not need them, as hosting airfields provide chocks. With their ground handling fees, one would expect that.

And there is always a work around procedure. I remember my F-4 navigator breaking off a picket from the airfields fence and using it as a chock for the jet after diversion to an remote airfield.

Where there is a will, there is a way :).
  5. Jet News

Lol!! Wow.
  6. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Yep, the good old days, the young air force captain and his fearless navigator (thats what they called themself when sheduled to fly with me :D). We were inbound Keflavik, Island, comming from Lossiemouth, Scotland, when the weather sucked in. Two things Island was very famous for among military pilots, always bad weather and the total absence of alternate airfields with runways long enough for fast jets. Our only alternate available was Akureyri (BIAR) located in the very north of Island. Today it is a regular airport with sheduled airline traffic but in the seventies, it was basically an 8000 ft concrete runway in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing. And the F-4 Phantom had no parking brake. Means, after engine shutdown no brakes other than the emergency brake. So, we were lucky, they had at least a wooden fence behind the ramp. The German AirForce had to send us a C-160 cargo aircraft (from Germany) with mechanics and an air starting unit in order to get us airborne again.

"Semper Gumby" or better "Flexibility is the key to airpower" General Giulio Duhet
  7. Jet News

Rubber chocks are indispensible.