Click for Cessna Click for Gulfstream Click for Daher-Socata Click for Boeing Click for Gulfstream

Extreme Turbulence; Fear of Flying now...

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by Fenderapache, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Fenderapache

Fenderapache New Member

I travel a bit for work, taking about 200 flights a year, a mix of commercial flights and private jets, most typically a Lear 55 my firm has a share of. I was in some major turbulence on a small regional jet (commercial) and literally was terrified for the first and only time on any flight ever. That flight was followed 2 days later with severe turbulence (but nowhere near as severe as the first flight) on another flight and finally the next day I flew into some very unpleasant turbulence in the Lear 55. When I say severe turbulence I mean the glass of water I had on my tray table hit the ceiling, the flight attendant got tossed around and told me (she was closest to me) that we had no business flying in such weather and that she was very nervous and thought the plane was too close to the ground and it was quote "scary". She really seemed scared which got to me.

I have never had any issues flying before and have never been the slightest bit concerned on any flight regardless of turbulence. Now, I'm a bit uncomfortable getting on any plane and the thought of getting on the Lear is not pleasant. Any thoughts on how I overcome my sudden nervousness with flying before I get on the Lear next week for my next trip?

Thanks in advance. Apologies for those who might think this is a silly post.

By the way, I generally like the Lear but prefer the Citation X which I've had the pleasure of using a bit as well.
  2. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

Hi Fenderapache and welcome to JF. I retitled the thread to make it more search engine relevant.

You're not alone in your reservation. Back in the late 80's, I knew a high time celebrity pilot that went through weather so severe, he contemplated retirement. Private jets are fast, small and light, making them extremely susceptible to turbulence, When you survive a harrowing flight, I think it teaches you to respect the capabilities of aircraft. The next time you take to the air, hopefully you'll have more confidence.
  3. betsemes

betsemes New Member