Click for Daher-Socata Click for Gulfstream Click for Piper Click for Embraer Click for YachtForums

Defense Projects and News

Discussion in 'Commercial & General Aviation' started by Jet News, Jan 19, 2013.

1. KCook

KCook New Member

Attached Files:

2. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

The F-35 looks good in those photos!
  3. KCook

KCook New Member

Big, big change from the Harrier !!!
  4. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

Let's do a flight surface check. Aileron, elevator rudder... check! Landing gear doors... check! Bomb doors... check! Intake fan door... check! Thrust vectoring doors... check!

Too many things to check! :eek:
  5. Jet News

Yeah the F-35 is supposed to replace the Harrier for the British forces. As well as have three variants for the U.S, the F-35A (Air force), F-35B (Marine Corps), F-35C (Navy) The F-35A is to replace the F-15 as the air superiority fighter, the F-35B will or is the STOVL version for the marines that replaces the British Harrier, I think the A-10 wharthog and the F-16 and the F-35C is the Navy version for Carrier-based operations replaces the F-18 hornet/superhornet carrier versions as well as E-6 Prowler ECMs. That's off the top of my head...so if I have one or two errors you are free to correct but I think I am.
  6. KCook

KCook New Member

If the F35 replaces the F15, wut does that leave for the F22 to do?
  7. Jet News

I think it is the F-22 that is suppose to replace the F-15/C/D models. The F-35A probably replaces certian F-15 roles too. The F-22 is an air superiority fighter...they go in first and kill all the enemy aircraft and knock out the communication, radar installations etc to pave the way for the other aircraft and ground forces to do their job. The F-35 may well take out some of the roles that planes like the F-117 night hawk does. The F-117 is a stealth bomber and relies pretty much 100% on stealth to get back home. It can't fire back offensively if attacked, just drops precision munitions. The F-35/A may very well do some of those A/G missions as it is a stealth jet as well but it does carry offensive weaponry too if for some reason it is attacked while bombing in that scenario.
  8. Jet News

Looks like the USAF may not get to run the T-X trainer project. With shrinking budgets for defense programs, the T-X trainer project may be the latest to be struck down as a result. The USAF was hoping that this aircraft would replace its vintage Northrop T-38 Talons. "That's been our challenge for some time now," says Gen Edward Rice, commander of the USAF's Air Education and Training Command, speaking at the Air Force Association's Air Warfare Symposium in Orlando, Florida. "I think we've been open and clear about our challenges in finding the money to pay for it given all the other recapitalisation needs of the air force."

***​

Attached Files:

• T-X.jpg
      T-X.jpg
      File size:
      23.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Jet News

F-35s grounded...again!

The U.S has grounded all of its F-35s once again, not even a full month after they were cleared to return to the skies after being grounded previously. This grounding has been a precautionary measure -again- because of a crack in a blade of the third stage of the low pressure turbine. The last grounding saw the ultra-modern fighter being grounded for a fueldraulic leak/failure.
  10. Jet News

F-35 programme chief puts major contractors on blast

US Air Force Maj Gen Christopher Bogdan has been shelling criticism toward the major contrators and partners of the F-35 programme. "What I see Lockheed and Pratt & Whitney doing today is behaving as if they are getting ready to sell me the very last F-35 and very last engine, and are trying to squeeze ever nickel out of that last engine and airplane," says Bogdan.

"The behaviour I want to see is that they are knowledgeable about selling me 3,000 airplanes and 4,000 engines. I want them to take the long view." The comments were made yesterday in a meeting at the AVALON 2013 show.
  11. Jet News

Seems that Embraer wins lucrative USAF defense contract

Brazilian airframer Embraer held off competition for U.S manufacturer Beechcraft for supplying the United States Air Forces' needs for counterinsurgency missions in Afghanistan. Embraer will now deliver 20 of their A-29 Super Tucanos for a total 428-million dollars. Beechcraft was again outfavoured even in a revision in the tendering process.
  12. Jet News

The Canadian National Fighter Procurement Secretariat (NFPS) has finished a questionnaire in order to find out which fighter jet they should purchase to replace Canada's F/C-18s. The U.S is looking to phase out theirs as well with the new F-35 but Canada's folks seem to think that option is too expensive. So, the questionnnaire is out and tenders to Eurofighter, Saab, Dassault Falcon, Boeing and Lockheed Martin are out so we shall have to wait and see. The varying companies are reported to have six weeks to compelete the questionnnaire.
  13. KCook

KCook New Member

So Boeing and Lockheed would have to design a fighter from scratch?
  14. Jet News

Well from what I understand I was thinking that the aircraft would be from existing designs by the different companies. I.e, Lockheed-Martin (F-35), Eurofighter (Eurofighter Typhoon), Dassault Falcon (Rafale) etc
  15. KCook

KCook New Member

Err, most of those designs are about the same generation as the F18, no?
  16. Jet News

Yes in some of the cases...
  17. Jet News

Again the cause of the most recent groundings of the ultra-modern F-35 has been a crack in one of the turbine blades, a 4.2mm crack was discovered after inspection due to thermal creep. They say it is unlikely to affect the plane as it eventually returns to flight status.
  18. Jet News

This looks very close to what the United States builds!

Attached Files:

• heli.jpg
      heli.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  19. KCook

KCook New Member

Lets ask Prince Harry
  20. Jet News

Only if he could understand the Russian or Chinese in it!