Click for Piper Click for Daher-Socata Click for HondaJet Click for Gulfstream Click for Boeing

General Business Aviation News

Discussion in 'Commercial & General Aviation' started by Jet News, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

Cranfield airport is ramping up its effort in a bid to attract more business aviation traffic to the southern UK site. Situated some 50 miles North of the Central London area, "Cranfield is ideally placed to serve London and the business aviation community," says Cranfield airport director Jason Ivey. "We have spent around £3.5 million on hangar refurbishment and upgrading the taxiway. We have an 1,800m runway, which can accommodate all traditional business jets, an instrument landing system and a 24h operating licence. However, the airport is underused because many operators don't know about us."
  2. Jet News

A photo of the Nextant 400XT

Attached Files:

3. Jet News

The G650 is an impressive aircraft all-round, Gulfstream should be proud. I know this bird has a long wingspan but I didn't realize that it was practically 100-feet across! That's wider than a DC9-50 at 93'5''.

***​

Attached Files:

• span.jpg
      span.jpg
      File size:
      20.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Jet News

Boeing is toying with the idea of a heavier MAX 8 737 for the BBJ market

At the EBACE currently going on in Geneva, Switzerland, Boeing has been actively considering a heavier version of the MAX 8 737 for the BBJ market. Boeing has revealed a new option is under consideration to develop a business jet version of the 737 Max with 7,000 nautical mile range.

A Boeing Business Jet (BBJ) version of the 737 Max 8 was launched in 2012, and Boeing is close to signing the first deal, BBJ president Steve Taylor revealed at EBACE. However, the standard BBJ Max 8 is limited to a range of 6,330nm, a 9.5-percent shortfall on the 7,000 nautical mile range standard set by some of its competitors in the ultra-large-cabin sector, namely the Gulfstream G650 and upcoming Bombardier Global 7000.

***​

Attached Files:

• BBJ.jpg
      BBJ.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Jet News

Pilatus unveils new business jet aircraft at the EBACE in the form of a mock-up. It's called the PC-24, typically carrying six to eight passengers but it can carry a maximum of ten if needed. The range with four passengers onboard will be 1,950-nautical miles.
  6. Jet News

Here is a look at that PC-24 by Pilatus that debuted at the 2013 EBACE. It was a cabin mock-up that was showcased.

Attached Files:

7. Jet News

Pilatus plans to establish a manufacturing facility in India, as the country looks at acquiring more aircraft from the Swiss aircraft maker. The facility will initially manufacture airframes for its single-engine turboprop PC-12 aircraft. “This will be our third support facility for PC-12 aircraft, the other two being in Portugal and Poland. It will be part of our offset commitment in India,” says Pilatus Vice President Jim Roche.
  8. Jet News

9. Jet News

Bombardier Aerospace Releases Annual Business and Commercial Aircraft Market Forecast Numbers

24,000 forecasted business jet deliveries from 2013 to 2032 valued at $650 billion 12,800 predicted deliveries in the 20- to 149-seat commercial aircraft market worth more than $646 billion Today, Bombardier Aerospace released its annual 20-year forecast for the business and commercial aircraft market numbers.

As the business and commercial aircraft markets continue to recover from the industry downturn, signs of forward momentum are beginning to emerge. While demand for new aircraft orders will continue to come from established and developed markets, the growth potential in emerging markets such as China, India, Russia and Latin America is predicted to play an increasingly important role in the global aviation marketplace. With fuel prices and environmental concerns continuing to rise, operators across both industries continue to focus on fleet optimization and aircraft efficiency.

“Bombardier Aerospace has a long history of developing industry-leading solutions to meet the diverse mobility needs of its customers. This has been achieved by following its long-term vision to create state-of-the-art aircraft, and investments in the technology and the talent to develop new and sustainable products within the business and commercial aviation sectors,” said Michael McAdoo, Vice President, Strategy and International Development, Bombardier Aerospace. “With its comprehensive product portfolio, dedication to superior customer support, and solid product-development roadmap, Bombardier is well-positioned for future growth.”

Business Aircraft Market Forecast Numbers

Bombardier is confident in the strong, long-term potential of the business aircraft industry and forecasts a total of 24,000 business jet deliveries from 2013 to 2032 in the segments in which Bombardier competes*, which represents approximately $650 billion** in industry revenues. Bombardier’s Business Aircraft Market Forecast anticipates 9,800 aircraft deliveries, worth $269 billion, during the 2013 to 2022 period, and 14,200 aircraft, worth $381 billion, from 2023 to 2032.

The business aviation market continues to recover, and while current macroeconomic indicators are mixed, the overall trend for the world economy is stable to positive. It is expected that as confidence returns to world markets, aircraft orders and backlogs will expand and deliveries will grow. While business jet orders and deliveries for 2013 are expected to be comparable to those of 2012, Bombardier forecasts that they will begin to improve in 2014 and that the industry will surpass its prior delivery peak year of 2008 by as early as 2016. It is also anticipated that with demand for business jets shifting towards emerging markets, the fleet of Large and Medium category aircraft will grow, with the Large aircraft category demonstrating the fastest growth.

Over the forecast period, Bombardier predicts North America will receive the greatest number of new business jet deliveries between 2013 and 2032, followed by Europe which, despite its continued economic challenges, remains the second largest market. China is forecast to become the third largest region in terms of deliveries over the next 20 years with 1,000 deliveries from 2013 to 2022, and 1,420 deliveries from 2023 to 2032. Bombardier also expects key growth markets including Brazil, India, Russia/the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), Mexico, and Turkey to receive a significant share of business jet deliveries during the next 20 years.

Bombardier predicts that – similar to commercial aviation – future challenges facing the business aviation sector include rising fuel prices and increased environmental awareness. Through its new aircraft development programs, Bombardier continues to invest in innovative transportation solutions that include the Global 7000, Global 8000, Learjet 70, Learjet 75, Learjet 85 and Challenger 350 jets.
  10. Jet News

Nextant Aerospace hopes to launch up to two remanufactured business jets at October's National Business Aviation Association Convention in Las Vegas and has commissioned US aviation consultancy Argus to help identify potential market segments and desirable aircraft types to add to its product line.

***​

Attached Files:

11. Jet News

Farnborough-based business aviation services company TAG Aviation has become the first UK operator to receive approval from the UK Civil Aviation Authority to introduce paperless cockpits in its fleet of managed aircraft. TAG says it is now in the process of equipping crews across its managed fleet with iPads (Class 1 Electronic Flight Bags) loaded with Vistair DocuNet and Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck applications.

"The introduction of paperless technology will ensure that pilots have up-to-date, essential information at their fingertips," says Russ Allchorne, TAG's vice-president Flight Operations Europe. "Flights manuals, manufacturer's documents and aeronautical flight charts can be updated at the touch of a button instead of the time-consuming and wasteful process of manually updating hard copies," he adds.
  12. Jet News

13. gogglezon

gogglezon Member

Interesting article with some details and specs list on the Pilatus PC-24.

Pilatus Unveils the PC-24 (Aviation Week - 3 pages)
    http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/BC_07_01_2013_p48-585548.xml

Interesting design. If you look at the Phenom 300's engine intake it's about level with the rear of the wing root. But on the PC-24 it's much further rearwards. The rear of the PC-24 engine pod is about level with the rudder! This may perhaps some weight balance away the front wheel for taxi on dirt(?), but also allows for a cargo door. The main gear looks amazing (and heavy) for a business jet.

All internal and external dimensions of the PC-24 are significantly larger than on the phenom 300, yet Pilatus's design weight is 318 lb less? I'm finding that one hard to believe, although the CJ4 has some dimensions larger than on the Phenom 300, yet it still manages to be 1,018 lb lighter. So 17,650lbs MTOW is not impossible.

The answer to lower weight seems to be in the design's cabin-altitude, 8000 ft as opposed to 6,600 ft, so some lighter construction for the pressure-cab ... but the under-cart ... looks a lot heavier than the Phenom.

+3 degree passive 'vectored'-thrust ... wow!

770 m takeoff roll ... wow!

Useful payload with full-fuel ... 550 lbs less than a Phenom 300 ... not so wow. This is a potential issue for what aims towards a long-range air-medical role in remote areas. Also, max landing weight target is 16,250 lb.

Weight and payload are an open question, me thinks, as is cruise speed. However, the fuselage section is significantly larger than either the Phenom 300 and CJ4, so must displace more air (i.e. shove it aside), so will need to use more fuel to do that, so speed will be slower. 425 knots has got to be close. However the P:W ratio would be a bit better than the Phenom 300 (assuming MTOW meets target ... and I have my doubts about that).
  14. gogglezon

gogglezon Member

15. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

Short of one of his stellar reviews, always good editorial by Fred George. Thanks for posting.
  16. Jet News

Gulf carrier Emirates has launched a private jet charter operation - Emirates Executive - using a 19-seat Airbus ACJ319.

"Emirates Executive elevates the high standards and quality of Emirates that our customers have come to expect, with the flexibility and luxury that can only be offered by a private chartered flight," says Adnan Kazim, divisional senior vice-president at Emirates.

Attached Files:

17. Jet News

Key Leaders Assume New Roles At Cessna

Cessna Aircraft Company, a Textron Inc. (NYSE:TXT) company, today announced new leadership appointments positively impacting the company’s Citation business jets. Bob King has been named business leader for the Mustang, M2, CJ2+, CJ3 and CJ4 aircraft and Brian Rohloff has been named vice president of Quality. In his new role, King will be responsible for overall profitability, as well as for guiding strategy within his product lines.

“Bob is a proven business leader and has gained broad experience from his time within other business units across Textron,” said Brad Thress, Cessna senior vice president of business jets. “Throughout his career, Bob has consistently been involved with shaping teams and identifying ways to improve processes while also being mindful of the product, and of the company’s objectives. His strong business focus and demonstrated strategic ability make him uniquely suited for this important role.” King has dual bachelor’s degrees in accounting and history from Muskingum University. He most recently served as Cessna’s vice president of Information Technology. Previous to this, King worked at Textron sister companies Jacobsen and E-Z-Go, in addition to working for Textron’s corporate office.

“This is a tremendous opportunity to very directly bring my business lens to the performance of the light end of the Citation product line,” said King. “Citations represent the most popular line of business jets ever introduced and it’s thrilling to be a steward of that legacy. With our customers’ needs at the center of our engineering excellence, you are already seeing exciting new additions to the line with the planned introduction of the M2 later this year. I look forward to continuing this customer-centric approach for which Cessna is well-known.” Brian Rohloff has accepted the position of vice president of quality with Cessna, in which he will lead the quality team and focus on Cessna’s continued priority of producing and delivering superior products that exceed customer expectations. Most recently, Rohloff was business leader for the Mustang and M2 jet aircraft.

“My time with the Mustang, M2 and Citation product lines reinforced the fact that our customers place a great deal of confidence in the safety and reliability of Cessna Citations,” said Rohloff. “My new role will allow me to draw upon that experience as I work to achieve the highest possible standards in Cessna quality. I am looking forward to remaining directly involved with customers, and will continue to strive for the excellence our customers have come to expect from Cessna.” Rohloff’s new role is the latest in his 16 year history with Cessna. His roles have included value stream manager for the CJ4, senior product director for the XLS+ and Citation X and product director for paint operations. He brings a broad business perspective in managing groups that focus on customer satisfaction, product quality, and continuous improvement. He is a graduate of Wichita State University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.
  18. Jet News

Cessna's new Citation Sovereign can fly non-stop from Rio de Janeiro to Panama City.
  19. Jet News

Aircraft broker Air Charter Service has reported record business aircraft charter bookings in July, due in part to a hike in the number of leisure flights using small-cabin aircraft. "We booked more than 800 flights in July [across its offices in Europe, Asia, Africa and North America,] meaning that on average an ACS private jet flight departed every 55min throughout the month," says ACS Executive Jets director Ruan Courtney. "The summer period is traditionally the busiest time for private jet charters, as our regular corporate business is boosted by leisure travel." UK-headquartered ACS says there was a "slight shift in its clients' buying behaviour - many are booking smaller aircraft, but more regularly", it concedes.
  20. gogglezon

gogglezon Member

RE: Pilatus PC-24 comments (on page 5 of this topic )- a few corrections and further observations/points.

I said the PC-24 take off distance is given as 770m. This was incorrect, and came from the Fred George article I linked, which states: "... Estimated stall speed at maximum landing weight is 81 kt. and projected landing distance is 2,525 ft. ...". That length does equate to 770 meters when converted (which is where I got this figure) but I suspect this is an error in the article as the predicted rolling distance on pavement at sea-level at maximum landing weight is projected to be ~820 meters, or 2,690 ft (see Pilatus's online PDF brochure for current projected specs). This is also confirmed within the very next sentence in that article, which states, "Standard takeoff field length is 2,690 ft." This also was erroneous, for the takeoff distance is what should be given as "2,525 ft" in length (or 770m).

i.e. the correct numbers are used, but in reverse.

However the very next paragraph in that linked article was interesting to me, for it says, “... It's not easy to fly to 450 and have the spoilers and flaps needed for short field operations, says Schwenk. ..."

Which indicates the Pilatus PC-24 design brief was to build a 450 kt max cruise speed jet, but they indicate they may not have got there, hence the current 'under-promise' claim, of 425 kt max cruising speed, at FL300. However I suspect the actual max cruise speed will turn out to be a bit higher than this 425kts.

I think this due to several factors, one point I found interesting was with regard to weight reduction measures in which they're using a combination of higher cabin pressure-altitude of 8,000 ft, combined with, "High-strength aluminum alloys will be used for the primary airframe. Similar to the company's PC-21 advanced military trainer,, same as used in the PC-21."

This hints at but doesn't specifically mention the use of forged aluminum structural components, but I suspect this is what they're referring to. Forged aluminum can be significantly thinner and lighter, plus it can also be made stronger and stiffer in any desired direction, than a typical aluminum airframe alloy, thus using less metal for the same strength. So that approach could knock as much as 5% to 10% off a typical airframe structural weight, without resorting to carbon-fiber construction techniques (which probably is used for fairing skins and covers, etc). It would also make a lot of sense to machine the robust and heavy undercarriage and mounting out of forged alloy. This could keep the projected MTOW down around the target weight.

Pilatus PC-24 = 17,650 lb - Power to weight ratio = 0.404 (1 POB + full fuel)
    Citation CJ4 = 17,110 - Power to weight ratio = 0.426 (1 POB + full fuel)
    Phenom 300 = 17,969 - Power to weight ratio = 0.399 (1 POB + full fuel)

I also examined the available line diagrams (top, side, and frontal views), of each of these aircraft, then used the precise external dimensions of each aircraft, in percentage difference terms, to accurately scale their graphical pixel size, and thus to obtain an accurate visual side-by-side comparison of their relative respective size and design difference. This approach worked very well to help reveal the key design differences between them.

What the resulting diagrams showed was that, in the same way the Phenom 300 currently makes the CJ4 look small, so too does the PC-24 make the Phenom 300 look small. Indeed, the stance and size of a PC-24 approaches that of an Embraer Legacy 450, rather than the Phenom 300.

So why would I think the PC-24 speed may be higher than the currently claimed 425 kt?

Because the 451 kt CJ4 has almost exactly the same wing-taper 'sweep' angle as a PC-24, and the CJ4 appears to have a larger wing skin area than the PC-24, even though the PC-24's wing is longer (but more slender), and also the PC-24 wing has a higher sweep-angle inboard, something the CJ4 doesn't incorporate.

So my general on-balance view is that both wings are going to have about the same drag level though the PC-24's design is clearly more sophisticated, for both low and high speed optimized features.

As well the large elevators on the PC-24 and CJ4 are almost the same lengths:

22 ft 1 inches CJ4
    22 ft 4 inches PC-24

So then, the remaining impacts on max speeds are going to be the tail design and fuselage section and streamlining. The CJ4 has by far the lowest tail and the largest tail sweep-angle (which is the only reason the CJ4 is longer than a Phenom 300 btw), while the Phenom 300 has the lowest tail sweep angle, with the PC-24 in-between these two, but a taller tail and larger rudder surface.

However, the Phenom 300 does have a much larger oval fuselage diameter than CJ4, plus much shorter elevators, plus more highly-swept wing. So the larger volume heavier construction fuselage of the Phenom 300 still manages to be faster in practice than the smaller and lighter, plus even higher thrust CJ4!

This means the stream-lining design features, alone, can make a larger jet with a lower power to weight, and a larger diameter fuselage section the faster jet in practice.

So the question then is; is the stream-lining of the even larger fuselage diameter and higher thrust, but also lighter MTOW PC-24, up to the required level for high speed cruising efficiency? Indeed it is, as even visually it is easily a more stream-lined nose and cockpit area than the 451kt CJ4, and has slightly better streamlining than even the Phenom 300.

hmm ...

Hence, I think the PC-24's max cruise speed may surprise to the upside with 435 kt possible, and 440 kt viable. We'll see, with prototype testing, in 2015.

But also within my last comment I said the available PC-24 payload at full fuel, would be about 550 lb less than a Phenom 300. But after looking at the figures again, it's going to be more like ~480 lb lower useful payload at full fuel (or ~84 lb less useable payload than the CJ4).

Not great but it's also not as bad as it first appeared. For instance, the PC-24 has 138 lb more full-fuel aboard than the CJ4, and 612 lb more full-fuel aboard than the Phenom 300! So this practical payload and range compromise is not as impaired as I'd first thought. In fact, it's more-or-less a mirage.

The following are fuel-curve modelling [gu]estimates. The fuel-curve and practical payload picture should look approximately like this (full fuel equal to 5,965 lbs or 2,705 kg, or 3,369.7 Liters, or 888.5 US Gal).

With one 91-kg pilot, and assuming 25 kg or luggage per POB, this would leave almost exactly 300 kg or 660 lb of useable payload at full fuel. Thus the PC-24 can only accommodate 4 adult POB before reaching its max ramp weight loading. So above 4 POB the fuel load must then be proportionally reduced for each further POB added. So for 6 POB, max-ramp-weight is reached with a reduced fuel load of 3,076 liters, or 5,445 lb of fuel.

But with regard to POB, and the max-landing-weight (16,250 lb) constraint's implications to fuel loads (@ max-ramp-weight fuel of 16,350 lb, that is):

1 POB MLW takeoff = 3,008 liters, 5,325 lb fuel = LRC range km 3,511 or 1,896 nm, including NBAA IFR +100nm

4 POB MLW takeoff = 2,575 liters, 4,558 lb fuel = LRC range 2,910 km or 1,571 nm, including NBAA IFR +100nm

6 POB MLW takeoff = 2,285 liters, 4,045 lb fuel = LRC range 2,508 km or 1,354 nm, including NBAA IFR +100nm

10 POB MLW takeoff = 1,709 liters, 3,025 lb fuel = LRC range 1,708km or 922 nm, including NBAA IFR +100nm

In the case of a 1,000 nm sector, with 4 POB, this would require about 1,555 liters, or 2,753 lb of fuel, which includes NBAA IFR +100nm reserves.

So this is not so shabby for a fly-in and fly-out operator to remote paved or dirt-strip mine sites with Jet A1 available. And also for an air-medical role, to get to Jet A1 refuel site, from a remote area takeoff dirt strip. Thus commuting becomes less reliant on domestic airline routes for those annoying multiple flight commutes that eat into days-off.

So although the specs payload is 480lb lower at full fuel than a Phenom 300, the operational flexibility in practical regional flying terms, should be significantly improved, if operating a PC-24.

The main drawback I see in modelling it is that from the ballpark figures the PC-24 will on average be about 13% more thirsty, per kilometer, or per mile, i.e. Aircraft fuel cost per km is given, assuming AUD $2.80 per liter, for Jet A1 (typical major city airport price at present):

Categories:
    Max Cruise $/km | STD Cruise $/km | Econ Cruise $/km | LR Cruise $/km

Phenom 300
    $2.99 | $2.42 | $2.03 | $1.79

Citation CJ4
    $3.30 | $2.67 | $2.25 | $1.98

Pilatus PC-24
    $3.38 | $2.73 | $2.30 | $2.02

Percent diff between Phenom 300 and PC-24 fuel burn / km:
    13.2% | 13.1% | 13.0% | 12.9%

So other than an operating fuel cost increase, the PC-24 offers excellent flexibility compared to a Phenom 300 or CJ4, with few practical or performance impediments. The remaining question mark I still have is the viability of engine TBOs at 5,000 hrs, and the maintenance costs of operating to and from dirt strips, and the lack of up to date knowledge available on them (like, did it rain last night? ... you better have access to local knowledge on the ground before you land there). I hope it has a very tight turning-radius to go with the large low-pressure wheels.