Click for YachtForums Click for HondaJet Click for Daher-Socata Click for Piper Click for Westport

If a (Euro) fighter comes to town

Discussion in 'The Ten Mile High Club' started by HTMO9, Oct 9, 2022.

1. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

2 days ago northern Germany saw an interesting aviation related event.

A retired Eurofighter was suppost to be transfered from the Airbase of Wittmund (my former homebase) to the closed Airbase of Jever about 15 NM to the East of Wittmund. As the bird was not flyable anymore and a complete disassembling to complicated and expensive, an oversized road transport was choosen. With the wingspan of the Eurofighter of 39 ft, a real challenge. During the preparation of the road transport, a lot of traffic signs, traffic lights, road safety barriers and even a few railway safety barriers had to be removed. The transport had to go through two towns and via a highway.

Eurofighter 01.jpg
    On the highway inbound the town of Jever

Eurofighter 02.jpg
    In the historical town of Jever

Eurofighter 03.jpg
    As the transport was executed at 02.00 hours in the night, the closure of the roads did not cause too much trouble. But it still attracted a lot of spectators.

Eurofighter 04.JPG
    But at some locations, it was really a closed call.

The Eurofighter will be used at the former airbase of Jever for the training of airfield protection forces in rescue and recovery of military aircraft.
  2. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

wow...that probably was a spectacle to see going down the road.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Member

How about a Chinook?
    It can lift 10 metric tons, is the Euro fighter more than that?
  4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Germany has a bunch of Chinooks on order as an replacement for the meanwhile pretty old CH-53 army helicopters but I think that bird is still to heavy for slung load and that even with the engines and the vertical tail removed.

When the F-4 area ended in the German Air Force several Phantoms were transported by road transport. But with the outer wings and the tail removed, it was no problem. You could buy them for scrap value. If I would have bought one, my family would have placed me into a straight jacket. Just by mentioning it during dinner, my daughters were questioning my mental health already. It would have looked so great in front of or in my hangar :(. But I have the forward hull of an F-104 G with a complete cockpit including canopy in a room in the rear of my shed. Special friends can have some cockpit time in there :p.

And for moments of deep sadness I have a glass showcase in my private office with all my flying trophies, badges, wings and exactly detailed models of all military aircraft, I was ever rated for. My children call that my "I like myself corner". Nonflyers do not understand that!

Norseman, You should come to Hamburg one day. I think, I have some nice (and flyable) surprises for You in my hangar on my glider field just outside of Hamburg. We could do some nice barnstorming with it!

My late wife always said, men are are just grown up boys with money in their pockets.

HTMO9
  5. Norseman

Norseman Member

Aye, I know: Boys and their toys, I am in that camp as well.
    Told my wife when I first met her. Men in general are primitive, but pilots are especially primitive: After 31 years marriage she very much agree.:D

Yeah, I should stop by Hamburg and check out your collection.
    Last time I was in Hamburg was 1976, I was a teenage crew member on a 20,000 ton bulk carrier, we had just come from West Africa with a load of Oxide of some kind. I was the helmsman taking the ship in. (River Elbe?)
    Also some vague memories of the Reeperbahn, although I didn't linger there, had a cute girlfriend back home in Norway so I left the ship and went home to cuddle with her. Started driving taxi cabs to make a living but got bored soon, saved the cab money and went to a civilian flight school in the US 2 years later.
    The girl ditched me anyways so I ended up in Alaska flying bush instead.
    I am headed to Europe in a couple of weeks, but short trip only.
    Probably too cold in Northern Germany anyways?
    You are probably hanging out in the sun, Majorca?

Hah, we have all done similar stuff.
    I had models made as well: A company in the Philippines make custom models and hand paint them to exact replicas.
    At one point my wife said: Gee we have more airplanes than United Airlines,:cool:
    This one made a great model:
    068A288B-2603-4829-808E-A2DF96765D1E.jpeg
    Ended up donating the model to my former boas, the owner of the little sea plane airline: One of the best jobs I had: Shuttle service between St. Thomas and St. Croix, 16 flights per day, 2 days ON 2 days OFF, flew with the side window open, elbow out and resting on the window sill.
    If one of the pilots passed gas, as in doing a fart, he would close his window so the fart got sucked out past the other pilots nose. :D
    (Did I mention pilots are primitive?)
    Aye, good old days..
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  6. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

That’s not something you see everyday... a fighter jet on a flatbed! Can I assume the canard was angled down to prevent lift?