Click for Bombardier Click for Hawker Click for Cessna Click for Boeing Click for Dassault

Private & Business Jet Videos - flying, landing, take-offs...

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by Jet News, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

Some world leaders heading into UK to attend QEII Funeral.

2. Jet News

More dignitaries and heads of state. arrive in the UK.

3. Jet News

U.S President Biden arrives in UK for QEII funeral.

4. Jet News

...and leaves.

5. Jet News

6. Jet News

Gulfstream G650 action...landing and departing at Eindhoven, The Netherlands.

7. Jet News

Citation Latitude landing and then departing at Engadin in strong wind conditions.

8. Jet News

Executive traffic from Bermuda.

9. Jet News

More Engadin action.

10. Jet News

A look at some more action from the island of Bermuda.

11. Jet News

A look back to when this was a normal sight in St. Maarten.

12. Jet News

Pilatus PC-24 looking great up in the mountains.

13. Jet News

Flying in a TBM 940 to the Tarbes, France factory.

14. Jet News

A Vista Jet Global 7500 departing Farnborough.

15. Jet News

Vistajet Bombardier Global 7500 Emergency Landing at Farnborough.

16. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

That looks like an engine failure during flight or a precautionary inflight shutdown of the port engine. Only the starboard thrust reverser bucket was deployed during landing roll.

Never had one of those on any civil aircraft I have flown, except on my Airbus H-145 helicopter. Luckily it was not over open water but right after takeoff from my home airfield. I had to shut down the port engine due to high and fluctuating EGT. But it was only a faulty EGT sensor.

During my time in the German Navy, the tower controller could tell the severeness of our emergencies with engine problems just by listening to the high pitch voice of the pilot. Declearing an emergency on the F-104 with high pitch voice got everybody going on the airfield. Engine problems on a single engine fast jet were always what we called a real emergency. The guys from the airfield fire brigade, especially the crash crews, were our best friends.

The problem with those highly reliable civil jets is, it makes the pilots lazy, because they always work as avertised. That is the reason, why simulator training and check rides are mandatory and in my opinion really neccessary. And the video above shows, why ETOPS regulations are still neccessary on twin engine aircraft.

Flight safety is paramount!
    Jet News likes this.
  17. Norseman

Norseman Member

[QUOTE="

The problem with those highly reliable civil jets is, it makes the pilots lazy, because they always work as avertised. That is the reason, why simulator training and check rides are mandatory and in my opinion really neccessary. And the video above shows, why ETOPS regulations are still neccessary on twin engine aircraft.

Flight safety is paramount![/QUOTE]

All correct, but we lazy civilian pilots spend a lot of time in the simulators practicing over and over again what can go wrong during a dark and stormy night.
    (Last time I added up my simulator hours it was 20 years ago, 500 hours then, a few more hours now.)

The simulators, as much as I hate them, are invaluable for flight training of course.
    That being said, if a candidate has no talent, he will be a bad pilot regardless of how many fancy simulator sessions he is given.
    The military, at least in the past, would wash out any pilot who could not learn to fly, or meet minimum standards in a specified time frame: So would the airlines: No talent, No Play, No Pay.:confused:

Nowadays it is more flexible: It is politically correct to help and help people in the simulator just to get them through the program. Talent and Flight Safety be damned.

Glad I am done with flying and done in the training department where washing out candidates who were not suitable could result in a law suit.o_O
  18. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

As far as wash out of candidates in military pilot training are concerned.

During my UPT at Sheppard Air Force Base we lost 8 out of 26 of my class during my 13 month course. 6 during the T-37 phase and 3 during the T-38 phase. We had guys, married even with young children, living with their families in Wichita Falls, comming happily out of a pleasant weekend, failed a check ride on Monday, one more ride on Thuesday, recheck on Wednesday, failed again, final progress check on Thursday, failing again and sitting in the plane back to Germany on Saturday. Back home a week later standing in front of a board, got one proposal for a (boring) non flying job. If they did not accept that alternative job, they were kicked out of the military within 14 days. Most of them left the military totally frustrated.

Honestly, even if it was bad luck for one or the other, the majority would have killed themself later in their jet, taking their WSO with them. The problem was, the instructors could only wash out due to lack of ability. Weakness of character or overconfidence could mostly not be detected.

I had one classmate, an extremely good looking Air Force guy, married to an gorgeous women, who was better in anything he did, even in flying. She was a fully qualified IFR multi engine flight instructor and looking like Farrah Fawcett. All of our instructors lay drooling at her feet. Not of them recognized the inferiority complex, the Lt developed.

After UPT he went directly to George AFB for the F-4 training and back in Germany he was stationed at my later wing in Northern Gemany. Guess what happened, in 1979 he made one of those what we called a visiting relatives flyby with several reattacks. Finally they chrased into a house in the very close neigbourhood of his parents, killing himself, his navigator and a complete family with children in that house.

190617-1749-220053370.jpg

picture of the crash site

Besides the awful damage to the people and his parents, the whole German Forces are still suffering from this negative event til today, 43 years later. After this accident, the complete German military had a long period of restricted flying only under close radar control and no VFR low level flying.

Or the 28 year old Germanwings copilot in 2015, who locked his captain out of the cockpit and flew the Aitbus 320 with 150 passengers on board deliberately into a mountain, killing all persons on board. On the crash recorder tape found later, one could hear the captain trying to open the cockpit door with a fire axe.

What I wanted to say was, it is not only a matter of physical fitnss and ability, it is also a matter of character and attitude to be a good and safe pilot. Idiots and maniacs do not belong in a cockpit, both civil and military.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots!
    Norseman likes this.
  19. Norseman

Norseman Member

Sad story.
    As for old, bold pilots:
    Some claim to be, I worked with this crazy guy many years ago. (He mentioned me in the book.)
    36FF0D48-3806-479C-9F8B-0F432F873E52.jpeg
    Crazy guy and he had a few bad crashes, barely survived.
    Lots of luck and also talent.
    The book is good reading.
    Now he owns a small a hotel in Thailand, I need to go and visit one of these days.

In general however the bold pilots won't get old: I saw that in Alaska many times, had several colleagues and room mates who bought the farm flying in bad weather and/or overweight. (VFR in a snow storm is never a good idea)

I am happy I survived all that and the bush flying in South America between the mountains at night with heavy freight.
    A few 747s and other heavies crashed doing what I did: A 747 freighter crashed on departure from Bogota because 3 out of 4 engines compressor stalled: High elevation, thin air, max power and sh!tty engine overhauls.
    Happened to me and my crew as well: It would scare the hell out of me: Just after rotation one hear load bangs, the airplane shakes and the skies light up outside as flames are shooting out the wrong end if the engine. (or so it seems)
    Of course one needs every pound of trust to clear the mountains, some would pull the thrust lever back rather than shut down the engine which could cook the engine if the EGT went over limits, which it did many times.
    I had the Director of Maintenance beg me not to write the over temps in the maintenance logbook.
    Not reporting it could be a death sentence for the next crew.
    Glad I am retired and done, And still alive. :cool:
  20. Jet News

A look at this Global operated by Haute Aviation arriving in St. Stephan in Switzerland.