Click for Daher-Socata Click for Cessna Click for Dassault Click for HondaJet Click for Gulfstream

Ram Air Turbine (RAT) on Business Jets

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by Jet News, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

The RAM AIR TURBINE on commercial planes is easy to see when they are deployed simply because they are sizable and the whirring sound of the propeller spinning is easily heard. How about on business jets? Many business jets carry the RAT as well but first what is the RAT? The Ram Air Turbine is simply a propeller device that is jettisoned outside of the aircraft to catch he moving airstream resulted from the forward flight of the aircraft. The propeller is connected to electrical generator or hydraulic pump to be used as an alternate power source.

Attached Files:

• RAT.jpg
      RAT.jpg
      File size:
      172 KB
      Views:
  2. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

I've seen RATs under the belly of commercial jets, but never out of the nose cone? Setting aside the obvious disruption to laminar flow around the fuse, I'm curious how the door stays attached at speed?

Good topic. Hopefully wisdom will follow...
  3. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

@JetForums I have seen it on Globals/CRJ family in that position. It is also in that position on the Embraer Legacy 450 and 500! On the E190 it is upfront there as well.
  4. wdrzal

wdrzal New Member

By looking at the angle of the open door, it looks like it adds the lift that the RAT removes from the right wing.