Click for Gulfstream Click for Gulfstream Click for Bombardier Click for Piper Click for Embraer

Remote Controlled; Scale Jets

Discussion in 'The Ten Mile High Club' started by Jet News, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

2. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

Definitely compressor powered. If you didn't have sound, the exhaust gases are the give-away.
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Carl, what happens in case of a turbine failure. Are those RC helicopters capable of doing a autorotation landing ?

This perfectly built RC model, obiviously based on the Gazelle Helicopter, shows clearly one disadvantage of the fenestron. The low positioned fenstron tail. This is a big problem during autorotation landings.

During my type rating for the Airbus H135 / 145, we did of course some simulted AR approaches and landings. Also a double engine failure on this type is rather rare, it is part of the type training. But during a real and simulated AR landing, there is a very high danger of the tail hitting the ground. One has to be very careful during the final flare.

Airbus company procedure is therefore, during AR training, low approach simulated forced landings only. We did only one demonstrated skid sliding AR landing on grass, all others were broken of at safe height. A pinpoint AR landing on hard surface really needs proficiency.

The instructor just said, I should train that with my own bird later :cool:. But as said above, very unlikely to happen, unless You manage to flame out because of dry tanks. But single engine flying is no problem at all. FADEC engine control and strong gears makes the term ASAP in most emergencies less dramatic.

Best helicopter I have ever flown.
  4. JetForums

I've never built or flown a turbine based R/C heli, but I'm pretty sure they are using a centrifugal clutch. Autorotations would be no different than a glow (nitro) powered machine. Downside for scale machines such as this Gazelle is the added weight of the scale components. I'm sure it will still autorotate, but it will need to touch terra firma soon after the flair!

With r/c helis it's not uncommon for novices to damage tail blades on autos, as they are still getting the timing down between flair and landing. In contrast, experienced pilots can do a whole suite of maneuvers with autos that defy gravity. One of the hardest (and most expensive) maneuvers I learned was an "inverted auto". This is an inverted approach with a flip during the flair. If it's done right, you can generate enough head speed during the flair to pull off a pirouette during the flip. I haven't perfected the latter, but after burying 6-7 machines learning to do inverted autos, I'm pretty proficient now and have not killed any birds in recent years.

I've got a couple dozen autos under my belt with a full scale R22. I've also done a few in an MD500C. Contrary to popular belief, autos are quite uneventful. I actually find them enjoyable. When you disengage the rotor system, all the vibration leaves the machine and the approach is not as steep as most people think. It's really just a "hurried-up" landing. ALL of my autos were sliding into grass which acts as a brake to slow forward momentum. I have never done an auto onto the tarmac.

Getting back to r/c helis, I have done one (1) auto to the galley deck of our Broward. I only had about a 5' x 5' area to land and the pucker factor was off the chart! I've done 1000's of autos to a 1' x 1' landing pad, but this is easy when you're at the flying field. If you miss the pad, no big deal, you just land in grass. On the galley deck of the Broward, there was no room for error. If I missed the landing, the bird was going in the drink! Below is a pic. We were at the Shell Air & Sea Show, rafted up to several other yachts. Again, no room for mistakes and upon reflecting, not one of my smartest moments. Too much liability!

Attached Files:

5. JetForums

While I have the file open on my desktop, here's some other pics flying from the Broward. The first is during the Winterfest Boat Parade. We were en-route to our anchorage for the show. The 2nd pic is cruising in front of FLIBS the day before show opening. If you look closely at the 2nd pic, my brother challenged me to touch the skids to the bow pennant. Easy enough sitting still, but with wind and cruise speed, a little more challenging. :)

Attached Files:

6. JetForums

If you want to track where the profits from the forums have been invested, look no further than my office wall. 3 SAB Goblins and 3 Align 700's. I have since sold off the Goblins. Cool looking machines, but the belt drive systems are power robbers. I only fly Align now...

Attached Files:

7. JetForums

A side shot of my Align 700 Blackshark. Clocked on radar at 135mph, but this is actually slow compared to some of the dedicated speed machines in competition that are approaching 190mph.

Attached Files:

• BS1.jpg
      BS1.jpg
      File size:
      118.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Jet News

This RC-helo is firing rockets!

9. Jet News

Covid-19 viewing.

10. Jet News

RAMYRC is at part 6 with the development of his Airbus A350.

11. Jet News

RAMYRC first time back out flying his RC planes. He has been consumed with the build of his A350 XWB.

12. Jet News

RAMYRC apply the livery to the A350XWB

13. Jet News

Taxi tests of the new RAMYRC A350XWB

14. Jet News

Evening time flying a Bell UH1 Huey.

15. Jet News

RC F-16 and AH64 Apache flying together.

16. Jet News

Now that Virgin Atlantic's Boeing 747 fleet is virtually non-existent it is even more special to see models of them flying.

17. Jet News

RAMY RC Airbus A350XWB makes its maiden flight...watch below.

18. Jet News

Footage from onboard the RAMY RC Airbus A350 XWB

19. Jet News

20. Jet News

Pilatus Aircraft PC-24