Click for HondaJet Click for Embraer Click for Gulfstream Click for Westport Click for Dassault

The Last P-51 Mustang is for sale

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by Kevin, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Great find Kevin !!

But if I would buy that bunch of aviation history, bring it home to Germany and have the aircraft restored to flying status, my children would go to court and have me declared incapicitated. I would sit the rest of my life in a mental hospital bound in a straightjacket.

Still a great idea. The P-51 is one of the greatest examples of a fighter aircraft of that period and it deserves to be restored. It itches in my fingers as we say in German, when temptation bites You :D.
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I have talked to a German warbird operator about the P-51. He operates (owns) a T-6, a L-39 and a Messerschmidt Me-109. The latest model ist grounded due to a landing mishap.

He said: "Great project, great idea for somebody with really deep pockets, possible, if the aircraft is not corroded to much but the P-51 is the most expensive restoration project one can buy and the most expensive non jet warbird to operate here in Europe, especially Germany. There are at least 2 P-51 flying in Germany but as far as I know, not under German registration". End of statement.

We have a company in Germany which is certified and very capable of restoring an overhauling Merlin Engines. This company is doing all work on the two radial engines (one is a spare) of my Stearman. I could literally see the $ signs in his eyes, when I called him.

Will talk to my family. If there are no more posts from my side, I am in the Straightjacket :p.
  4. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

One thought that occurred to me... with 20+ Merlins as part of the package, someone could recoup a moderate part of the purchase price just parting them out to others that need parts.

What does a Merlin cost? $40-50k USD?
  5. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

I was recently watching a show called Auto Biography on the Motor Trend channel. The show covers unique, historical cars. The first show in the series was excellent, so I tuned in for episode #2.

This particular segment was covering a very rare Porsche 935. As it turned out, this episode was about Don & Bill Whittington. The Whittington's were well known for their racing exploits, which was funded by their drug smuggling enterprise. At one time, they owned Road Atlanta.

I used to rent a T-hangar on Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport, which was owned Don Whittington (World Jet). On my 30th birthday, a friend who was Don's corporate pilot arranged for me to go for an orientation flight in one of 2-seat variant Mustangs. He always had 2-3 Mustangs in the hangar, plus a dedicated workshop for rebuilding P-51s.

It goes without saying, the flight was among the most memorable in my life. The acceleration was incredible, but most impressive was the torque of the Merlin. If you accelerated rapidly at slower speeds, the plane would literally roll over inverted.
  6. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Carl, we both have talked before about our P-51 rides on JF. I remember the 55% power restriction on slow speed go arounds due to the enormous torque of the RR Merlin. Giving full power would just flip the bird around.

The problem with an restauration project of a P-51 is the aircraft itself and its high performance piston engine. The P-51 was always known for its very bad maintenance hour to flight hour ratio. A very complex and complicated race horse to work on. The second and most expensive point is the very low TBO interval and the availability of critical engine parts like Spark Plugs, Piston Rings, Valves and seals for the Merlin engine.

Even flown less then 100 hours per year, it would need an engine replacement every second year. One would need to take this unbelievable stock of spare Merlins (provided they are of similar type) and have several of those stock engines to be completely restored and made available for immediate exchange.

I am still thinking :). but a restored F-86 would be cheaper to maintain and operate.